Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-03 15:38:35

hiddenpower

Sticky LUKs login UI that won't display on external monitor.

Hello I'm new to XFCE and recently made the switch on an old 2014 macbook pro with nvidia enabled. After some customization, it's been a delight and I got a UI that feels similar to MacOS even!

There's a couple pain points that I haven't been able to figure out that I may split into two posts. The first one that I'll talk about here is that the LUKS login screen has been sticky every since turning on autologin in lightdm. Even upon turning it off, the view (in image below) has stuck around. I don't have anything strongly against it, but the downside is that it won't render on my external monitor. So if I restart my laptop, it's a bit of a painful process to dedock it, reopen the device and login.

Image of simplified LUKS (or initramf?) login UI: https://imgur.com/a/Nqd9Mck.

I've tried adding init display scripts within the lightdm.conf as well to see if it's possible to trigger connecting to the montior from there, but then the display flashes (even with a do-nothing script), and I need to revert the change via live usb.

The second pain point is that the laptop won't ever sleep if I close the lid. It says I don't have enough swap and I've struggled to fix this. Can make a separate thread on it when I focus on this more.

Thanks for the help!

#2 2024-05-03 16:27:11

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Sticky LUKs login UI that won't display on external monitor.

Hello and welcome.

The challenge with your first issue, is that all of that happens before Xfce starts. Xfce is a userspace environment, meaning you have to log in first before any of its components are executed. You don't mention which distro you use, but it might be best to ask at your distro's forum for assistance for this issue.

The second issue could be related to an Xfce mis-configuration. Can you post back:

• the contents of your ~/.xsession-errors file after a failed suspend attempt (if that file exists)

• the output of your system's current boot log file. If you are running systemd, that would be:

sudo journalctl -b 0 --no-pager
  • Some xfce4-power-manager information;

xfce4-power-manager --dump
    xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer