Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-03 14:29:03

Tabespe

README.txt goes not into the list of the recently opened files.

Hello

*.txt files are linked to Featherpad on my system. This means, when I double click a *.txt in thunar, then Featherpad opens this file.

When I type the following into the address-bar of thunar, it opens the file "README.txt" with Featherpad:
~/Öffentlich/README.txt

My expectation was, that the file "README.txt" is after in the list of the "recently opened files" ( recent:/// ). But it isn't.
Is this how it is thought to be?

Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

#2 2024-05-03 16:19:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: README.txt goes not into the list of the recently opened files.

Does featherpad support writing to the recently used file? (I'm not sure). If you try with mousepad or gedit, does it work?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-03 17:12:47

Tabespe

Thank you.

mousepad:
When I make exactly the same with mousepad it works.

Featherpad:
Please note: When I open a file with Featherpad in an other way (by double click) I have after the txt-file in "recent:///" .
But when I open the file by copying the path into the address bar of thunar and press enter, I have after not this file in "recently used files".

#4 2024-05-03 20:37:22

ToZ
Administrator

Can you confirm that in both instances, you are in your user profile? For example, is thunar running in root mode? Or is the other method running in root mode?

Also, featherpad seems to have the option/choice to specify recently opened vs recently modified as recent files. Which one do you have selected?

And finally, are you able to test featherpad with another file manager (nautilis, nemo) to see if the problem exists there as well?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2024-05-04 08:55:59

Tabespe

ToZ wrote:

Can you confirm that in both instances, you are in your user profile? For example, is thunar running in root mode? Or is the other method running in root mode?

Yes, all is running with user account.

ToZ wrote:

Also, featherpad seems to have the option/choice to specify recently opened vs recently modified as recent files. Which one do you have selected?

This setting is set to "Display recently opened files".
Featherpad has its own recently opened files in Featherpad->menu->File->recently opened. When I open the file via thunar by copying for example the path "/home/user/gImageReader_crash-save.txt" into the address bar of thunar and pressing enter, I have after the entry "gImageReader_crash-save.txt" in the list of "Featherpad->menu->File->recently opened", but not in thunar in "recent:///".

ToZ wrote:

And finally, are you able to test featherpad with another file manager (nautilis, nemo) to see if the problem exists there as well?

When I try to make the same in nemo (open the file via nemo by copying for example the path "/home/user/gImageReader_crash-save.txt" into the address bar of nemo and pressing enter), then it does not open a text editor. Nemo just shows me the folder, where the file is in. According the example above nemo goes to the folder "/home/user/" and selects automatically the file "gImageReader_crash-save.txt"

#6 2024-05-04 11:03:38

ToZ
Administrator

Looking through Thunar's bug list, I found this report that links to one specific to featherpad. The original bug is still open as an enhancement request to add this functionality.

#7 2024-05-04 12:48:32

Tabespe

Thank you for the interesting report-links. Maybe I will make a bug report.

What was reported in your Featherpad link (https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/issues/416) works. This was a report about double click. Cool that this finally works now.

But what I was running in, was an issue with copying the path into the thunar address and pressing "enter".

Board footer