Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-01 19:12:23

DavidS

Getting ibus to work

I have installed the xfce4 version of Debian 12 on my desktop and my laptop machines.  Previously I used various versions of Ubuntu, and I have kept my /home folders intact, so some of the settings get carried across into the new system.  In particular, I have used ibus for a long time, and use it occasionally to change to German, Hebrew etc.

On first logging into xfce4 on these 2 computers, a message popped up saying that ibus does not work in Plasma.  This seemed rather irrelevant since I am not using Plasma, but nevertheless on my desktop computer I found that ibus did not work in xfce4 either.  I could add another language, but when I switched to that language, the keyboard and the displayed characters remained English.

Having now installed the same Debian system on my laptop, I find that ibus does work here.  So I want to try it again on my desktop.  Unfortunately in the mean time I had messed about with some of the settings, and the desktop machine is now set to use uim, which doesn't work any better than ibus did.  And I can't now work out what I did to make this change, or how I can switch back to ibus and see if I can get that working properly.

How can I restore ibus as the default input method?  I can't seem to find any reference to it in the settings editor etc.

#2 2024-05-01 21:17:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Getting ibus to work

ibus isn't actually a component of Xfce, but this post seems to indicate that it will work if you set the appropriate environment variables.

Make sure you have all the required packages installed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-07 12:37:11

DavidS

Re: Getting ibus to work

Sorry - I hadn't realised this wasn't the place to ask about ibus.

But I looked at the link you provided.  Unfortunately it hasn't helped.  I've compared /etc/default/im-config and various daemons etc. running on the 2 machines, but haven't found any differences yet.  At least I now have ibus running on the desktop machine, but unfortunately it still doesn't work!

Thanks for your help.  I'll look for further help in a more appropriate place.

Board footer